Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Clean bill of health

Claire went in for a checkup this afternoon and is already almost back up to her birth weight after losing almost half a pound in the first day. The nurse also re-measured her. Either Claire's already grown almost 2 inches or the initial measurement was off, but Claire was 21 inches tall today. Dr. Schumacher gave her a clean bill of health.

WH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats why they need to be sure and stretch the babies out when measuring length. This kind of shoddy measurement is not acceptable, St. Mary's Hospital should be ashamed. I also demand that they start finding the volume of newborns using a water displacement test. I know I got to see Clarie in person, but for the initial "the baby arrived" call more data = good.

-Andy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Claire is doing just great, as we suspected she would!
Andy, I don't know about water displacement...

Anonymous said...

Isabel also magically grew 2 inches in the first few days. I can't imagine why the nurses would be in such a hurry as to not measure correctly. I agree with the comment that more care should be taken in measuring babies. I think a water displacement test is a fantastic idea; you wouldn't believe how many people asked us how dense our baby was. I was forced to explain to them that we didn't know her volume and, therefore, we could not determine her density. I think Isabel has already lost countless friends by not knowing how many cubic centimeters she was at birth.

On a side note, I also recently gained some weight (far surpassing my birth weight). Unfortunately, I did not also magically grow 2 inches taller.