Saturday, February 28, 2009

Evening with dad

With Kate out partying with her boss, it was just Claire and me tonight.

"Dad, can we play? Please?"


We played a game known to some in the house as "Claire be." As in "Where could Claire be? Hmmm. Is she behind the door? Again?"


We ran. This is lap #1.

I lost count which lap this was.


Claire finished off her running with some leg swings and stretches.

I'm not sure what she's thinking here. It probably has something to do with how weird her dad is.

Claire hasn't taken to referring to herself in the third person, yet. Instead, she has taken the unusual step of calling herself "you." I guess it makes sense since we refer to her as "you" instead of "me" all the time.

Classic dinner conversation between the two of us tonight...
Me: Who set the table tonight?
Claire: You!
Me: It wasn't me. You did.
Claire: (pointing to herself, nodding) You!
Me: Really! It wasn't me. You should say "me."
Claire: (looking confused and shaking her head) Nooooo. (pointing to herself again) You!
Me: When I talk about myself I am me but when I talk about you, you are you. When you refer to yourself, you are me.
Claire: (Ignoring me and eating her peas) Mama, home?
Me: She'll be home later and then maybe she can explain how you are me and I am you and all that. You like your pizza and peas, don't you?

In other news, Claire is really picking up steam on her vocabulary and will proudly sing her "A C B's" to you, me, or even herself as she falls asleep.

"A C B... G H I J... F... T U V dubdub X Y Z"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Will, What a story!! Thanks for bringing back memories of conversations w/ 'See-see', ie-Aaron, at the time, I think I had figured out why he insisted on calling himself that, it made sense then, especially to him! Give 'You', a big kiss from Aunt Jane!

Josie said...

Hey Claire! "You" is puppysitting today and wishes you were here to play with her. I totally enjoy your version of English, and am hoping that it will catch on!

Josie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.