These are the strawberries I picked this morning from our garden. We've picked about this much every day for the past few days and will be for several more.
They're so pretty...
Last night we turned some of them into freezer jam.
It's easy. Just buy a box of Sure-Jell and sugar and the instructions are in the package. For the regular jam you only need 2 cups of crushed berries. That's what we made. But tonight we're going to make the lower-sugar recipe which calls for a few more berries. It is hard to stop eating them to make the jam... but worth it. -K
yes. I know that Grandma uses Sure-Jell, but I don't know if she used the reg or the lower sugar recipe. I haven't tried the low-sugar recipe yet, but Will says it's really good too. (No artificial sweetener or anything, just a little less sugar.) Maybe once I try the low-sugar stuff I can tell you which grandma used... or maybe Mom knows. -K
I picked three quarts of berries today when we got back from St. Louis and made the lower sugar (4 c. mashed berries, 3 c. sugar) variety of jam. I think that is what Grandma makes. If not, none of you have to eat any when you are here. :) I have enough left to make strawberry/rhubarb muffins once I get some pecans. Mom
I think freezer jam would be a good price for one night lodging at Aunt Nancy's house! Probably won't make trip from Madison to Dubuque, Dubuque to Omaha but it was worth a shot!
6 comments:
How do you make freezer jam? We have the berries too, though I don't know if we have any uneaten ^_^
It's easy. Just buy a box of Sure-Jell and sugar and the instructions are in the package. For the regular jam you only need 2 cups of crushed berries. That's what we made. But tonight we're going to make the lower-sugar recipe which calls for a few more berries.
It is hard to stop eating them to make the jam... but worth it.
-K
Does it taste like grandma's?
yes. I know that Grandma uses Sure-Jell, but I don't know if she used the reg or the lower sugar recipe. I haven't tried the low-sugar recipe yet, but Will says it's really good too. (No artificial sweetener or anything, just a little less sugar.)
Maybe once I try the low-sugar stuff I can tell you which grandma used... or maybe Mom knows.
-K
I picked three quarts of berries today when we got back from St. Louis and made the lower sugar (4 c. mashed berries, 3 c. sugar) variety of jam. I think that is what Grandma makes. If not, none of you have to eat any when you are here. :)
I have enough left to make strawberry/rhubarb muffins once I get some pecans.
Mom
I think freezer jam would be a good price for one night lodging at Aunt Nancy's house! Probably won't make trip from Madison to Dubuque, Dubuque to Omaha but it was worth a shot!
Post a Comment